About Mike Bryan
Meet Michael Bryan: Virginia State Certified Home Inspector
Mike took classes in both Architecture and Engineering with the intent of becoming an Architect. While working for a steel company as a Detailer (draftsman) he came to the realization that he preferred to be outdoors.
He entered the masonry field and became journeyman mason, foreman, estimator, project manager, sales representative for various masonry companies and the owner and operator Bryan Masonry.
In 1983, he became a sales representative and conceptual designer of the additions and renovations division of Bernard M. Carlton, Custom Home Builder, in Loudoun County, Virginia. Mike also sold real estate for BMC Real Estate during that same time period.
During a decline in Real Estate and building construction in 1989, Mike relocated to Richmond, Virginia through a head-hunting agency to set up and managed a Richmond Division of a disaster restoration contracting company making repairs to buildings for insurance companies.
In 1992 Mike formed Bryan Construction, Inc and continued to perform disaster restoration services.
A lifetime of experience in construction and inspection services.
Mike attended a home inspection school in 1993 and opened HomeQuest, Inc. to perform home inspections as a sub-contractor while continuing to perform repairs for insurance companies. Mike performed his first 2,800 as a sub-contractor.
In 1997 Mike formed MGB Inspection Services Inc, and later Inspection Services of Central Virginia, LLC (doing business as MGB Inspection Services.) where he has performed over 9,950 home inspections to date, and more than 2,000 for national relocation companies – altogether totaling around 14,000 home inspections to date!
A number of local home owners insurance claims departments rely on Mike to assess the origin and chronology of residential damage in order to determine whether or not a resulting loss is covered under an insurance policy.
Mike is the author of four works: The Guardian Version of HomeGuage home inspection reporting system software; The Home Care Guide; The Zen of Home Inspection and The Inspectors Reference. He has also written a number of articles, some have been published others will be included in reference materials he is developing.
He is the father of two boys and three girls and has eight grandchildren.
His hobbies and interests are travel, hiking (108 miles this year in the Great Dismal Swamp and the Blue Ridge Mountains), mountain biking, Wildlife Photography, snowboarding, continuing education (he is an educational CD and Course addict) and writing. Facebook page.
Long list of professional associations:
Mike is a member of the following Professional Home Inspector Associations:
- American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) #205583 (1995 – present)
- A Certified Real Estate Inspector (CRI) with the National Association of Home Inspectors (NAHI) Inspector #200020 (1995 – 2014)
- Virginia Association of Real Estate Inspectors
- Central Virginia ASHI
- North Carolina Home Inspector (Licensure Board Licensed Home Inspector # 1509 (2001 – 2004)
- Northern Virginia Association of Realtors, as a Realtor (1984 – 1987)
- Purcellville Business and Professional Association
- President (1988 – 1989)
Years of hands-on construction experience!
In summary, Mike has hands on experience in the following areas of construction:
- Building Design and Layout
- Footing Excavation and Installation
- Foundation installation
- Brick, Block and Stone foundations
- Formed and Reinforced Concrete foundations
- Frame and Trim carpentry
- Interior Finishes
- Drywall hanging, taping and finishing
- Three coat Plaster installation
- Kitchen and Bathroom Finishes
- Fixture, Appliance and Cabinetry installation
- Exterior Finishes
- Three coat Cement Stucco installation
- Brick, Stone and Concrete Masonry Unit Veneers
- Composition roofing installation and repair
- Door, Window and Skylight installation
- Minor electrical and plumbing installation and repair.
- Home Owners Insurance Claims
- Damage assessment
- Estimate of repairs
- Claim validity
- Moisture intrusion